About East Central SUD

Today

East Central SUD supplies water service to approximately 4,600 customers in the eastern portion of Bexar County, the northwest portion of Wilson County, and the southwest portion of Guadalupe County.

We purchase all of our water and have contracts with San Antonio Water System and Canyon Regional Water Authority. We have access to the Edwards Aquifer, Carrizo Aquifer, and Canyon Lake water. We are presently working with other water purveyors to obtain and treat Wilcox Aquifer water.

Windmill

History

In the mid 1960’s a committee was formed for the purpose of getting better drinking water for the East Central School complex. In 1967, East Central Water Supply Corporation (ECWSC) was created and received a loan for $450,000 from the Farmers Home Administration. ECWSC signed a water purchase contract with the City Water Board, aka San Antonio Water System, for approximately 1.5 million gallons per day. The original system had 435 connections.

In 1971, ECWSC received another loan for $550,000 and extended service into the St. Hedwig and New Berlin area. In 1977, service was extended to Hwy 181 along Loop 1604 and along IH-10 E from FM 1518 to FM 1516 with another loan of $770,000. With this project a second connection with the City Water Board was made at Hwy 87 E. and Kirkner Rd and the contract was increased to 2,000,000 gallons per day. Lone Oak Estates was having problems with their water system and in 1980, ECWSC took over the distribution system and received a $500,000 loan to upgrade lines to handle the additional demand.

In 1987, ECWSC received an offer from the Farmers Home Administration to buy back its loan for a discount. Guadalupe Valley Electric Co- Operative assisted in securing a loan for ECWSC of $1.2 million to complete the buy out of our government loans. At the same time ECWSC joined with three other WSC’s to create Canyon Regional Water Authority for the purpose of looking for, developing, and delivering additional water supplies.

In 1994 ECWSC received water from its second source of water which was a non-Edwards source. In 1999, ECWSC borrowed $2,000,000 to run a 12” and 16” main along Loop 1604 to IH-10 and then to FM 1516 to connect to Bexar Metropolitan Water District. This gave ECWSC a third supply of water.

At the beginning of the century ECWSC started the process of converting to a district. During the conversion we merged with Western Trails WSC and purchased the Palm Park Water System. February 2004, an election was held and East Central Special Utility District (ECSUD) was created. A couple of months later all assets and liabilities of ECWSC were transferred to the District. As a district, we are eligible for tax exempt funding. In 2006, East Central Special Utility District sold 2.3 million dollars in tax exempt bonds. It was also able to reduce its debt to Canyon Regional Water Authority when it re-issued its bonds.